PCOS stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome. The general perception of PCOS is too complex and PCOS treatment is not permanent but in real PCOS treatment is permanent if it is treated naturally. Before understanding the types of PCOS treatment we have to understand why PCOS occurs in the first place. So let’s see the causes of PCOS.
Causes of PCOS:
We already learned that PCOS is a hormonal disorder and is caused due to hormonal imbalances. There are 10 root causes for hormonal imbalances due to modern lifestyle.
Food-related root causes :
- High toxicity in the food we consume: Foods heavy in additives, preservatives, and chemicals can contribute to hormone abnormalities by influencing the endocrine system.
- Acidity and inflammation caused by unhealthy food we consume: High-processed food, sugar- and unhealthy-fat diets can cause the body to become more acidic and inflammatory, which can throw off the body’s hormonal balance.
- Lack of micronutrients in the food we consume: Because these nutrients are crucial for a number of hormonal activities, inadequate intake of vital vitamins and minerals might interfere with the control of hormones.
- High Glycemic load food we consume which causes insulin resistance: Consuming foods with a high glycemic index can cause insulin resistance, which changes hormone levels, particularly insulin and androgens.
- Increase in male hormones due to consumption of chemicals/steroids in food: Eating meals high in chemicals, steroids, or hormone-disrupting compounds might cause an increase in male hormones (androgens), contributing to hormonal abnormalities.
Exercise-related root causes :
- Sedentary lifestyle – mostly sitting all the time: Prolonged sitting and a lack of physical activity can contribute to weight gain, insulin resistance, and hormonal imbalance.
- Excess fat over the ovaries: Excess body fat, particularly around the abdomen, might contribute to hormonal abnormalities by causing inflammation and insulin resistance.
- Lack of muscle strength: A lack of muscular strength and physical activity can have an impact on insulin sensitivity and overall hormonal control.
Sleep-related root cause :
1. Poor quality of sleep: Inadequate or poor-quality sleep can disrupt hormonal balance, influencing stress (cortisol) and appetite (leptin and ghrelin) hormones in particular.
Stress-related root cause :
- Excessive and chronic stressful state: Prolonged exposure to high amounts of stress can result in the dysregulation of many hormones, including cortisol, disrupting the body’s general hormonal balance.
PCOS Treatment through medication & its Side effects :
Nowadays everyone prefers medication to treat PCOS as it is efficient. Medication just addresses the symptoms and not the underlying causes of the problem, thus it only provides short-term relief.
Types of Medication for PCOS Treatment:
- Birth Control Pills: Oral contraceptives can reduce testosterone levels, regulate menstrual cycles, and alleviate symptoms including acne and excessive hair growth.
- Anti-Androgen Medications: Drugs that block the effects of increased androgens include anti-androgens. For the treatment of conditions including acne and excessive hair growth, spironolactone is frequently given.
- Metformin: Metformin is frequently prescribed to PCOS patients who have insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. Metformin can aid with blood sugar regulation and may enhance menstrual regularity and ovulation.
- Clomiphene Citrate: This medicine induces ovulation and is often used to assist people with PCOS in becoming pregnant. It is frequently used as a first-line medication for PCOS-related reproductive difficulties.
- Letrozole (Femara): Similar to Clomiphene, Letrozole is another medication used to induce ovulation in women with PCOS.
- Gonadotropins: In some cases, injectable hormones called gonadotropins might be used to stimulate ovulation.
Common side effects of PCOS treatment through medication:
Almost all types of birth control pills have side effects. The most common side effects are;
- Breast tenderness
- Possible weight gain or loss
- A mild rise in blood pressure
- Mood changes
- Irregular bleeding
- Blood clots
- Vaginal discharge
As a result, despite its effectiveness, PCOS treatment with medication is not recommended due to the possibility of the above negative effects.
PCOS treatment through natural means:
PCOS can be treated naturally instead of medication. Yes, you heard it right. PCOS is caused by hormonal imbalances and if we can balance the hormones naturally then PCOS can be reversed. Epigenetics helps us understand better. Think of genes as a gun and trigger lifestyle and environmental factors. The gun symbolizes our genetic potential, while the trigger represents signals from our choices and environment that influence gene expression. By regulating our lifestyle and environment, we can positively impact gene expression and address the root causes of PCOS.
Hence let’s see how one can heal from PCOS permanently by natural PCOS treatment. As we previously discussed, hormonal imbalances are the root cause of PCOS, and these imbalances are brought on by factors relating to food, exercise, stress, and sleep. To reverse PCOS, we must implement strategies that are likely to improve hormonal balance.
So let’s discuss how PCOS can be treated naturally through 5 pillars of a holistic lifestyle:
- Eat Right: Be careful about when and what you eat. Embrace living, water-rich, whole, plant-based foods that nurture our genetic potential. By opting for local and seasonal choices, we honor nature’s wisdom. Increase consumption of this type of food can improve insulin sensitivity and digestion. Avoiding specific foods including fried and processed foods, refined carbohydrates, drinks, alcohol, and caffeine aids in managing PCOS. Eliminating packaged and processed foods liberates us from epigenetic imprints, elevating our hormonal health. Your body is best at digesting when you are active and when there is sunlight. Thus eating or drinking when your body wants you to sleep and when it’s dark disrupts the system and compromises the metabolism. So it’s important to stop midnight snacking. Adapt to a consistent daily eating window of only 12 hours say 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Move More: Begin a journey of holistic lifestyle improvements in which staying active is more than just exercise. Constant activity throughout the day promotes epigenetic expression and hormonal homeostasis. To unlock the power of epigenetic triggers, engage in joyful physical activities, dance, or simply meditative walks.
- Breathe Aware: As we learn more about Pranayama or the science of breathing, we get access to a powerful gateway for supporting gland function and hormone balance. We transcend the commonplace and boost our hormonal well-being by harnessing the breath’s epigenetic power.
- Sleep Better: Unlock the secrets of deep sleep, a transformative practice for healing and regeneration. With the art of YogNidra, we embrace epigenetic potential, unearthing hormonal harmony in the realm of dreams. Rejuvenate your entire being through this exquisite dance with the epigenetic clock.
- Mind Free: Explore the realms of emotions, thoughts, and stress resilience, where writing, gratitude, and emotional practices serve as our compass. We empower our hormonal landscape by embracing epigenetic intelligence and shifting our story from stress to serenity.
Hence Following these 5 integrated natural ways to treat PCOS has zero side effects and also contributes to a healthy lifestyle. This way PCOS treatment can be done naturally without using medication.